Monday, July 30, 2012

QR Codes

I am going to share some fun ideas for how I have used QR codes in the classroom.  If you haven't heard of them before, please Google for the actual definition.  That's not nearly as much fun as just getting to the good stuff. 

I use QR STUFF to make all my QR codes.
Step 1:  Select PLAIN TEXT 
Step 2:  Type your text in the CONTENT box (this is what will be revealed when you scan the code)
Step 3:  Download the code (under the picture of the QR code)
Step 4:  Copy and paste the code into a Word document for printing
(you may want to write out your questions and answers first because you can't print them from this site)

Good?  It is actually pretty easy.  Okay, next....

I only have ONE iPad for my class.  Yes, it is my personal iPad, but the kids are respectful with it because they know I will not let them use it if they are not.  So this particular game is QR tic-tac-toe.  I use it in my guided reading groups.  Since I only have one iPad, I have to cut the QR codes apart so they can be scanned because once I set this up, I don't allow the students to move it.  If you have an iPod Touch you could leave it all on one paper.  You can also color code these as you differentiate questions for each of your groups.  You will need to download a QR reader app on your device.  Mine is Qrafter.  Did I mention that making QR codes and the readers are free? 


I put the kids on teams of two or three, depending on how many are in my group. Each person on the team will get a chance to pick a QR code, scan it and answer the question.  





  
If the student is correct, he marks his spot on the game board with a token or marker.  Three in a row/diagonal is the winning team!  The questions I use are based on vocabulary, reading comprehension, strategies, grammar, and spelling patterns for the week.  This can be adapted for any subject.   


Another idea for using the QR code, is making a VCARD.  A VCARD is similar to a contact in your digital phone book.  You can go the QR stuff and select CONTACT DETAILS, fill it in, and copy the code.  Post it in your room for Meet the Teacher or Open House and parents can scan it with their smart phone.  The information will go directly into their contact list without having to type it themselves.  You can also post the same QR code on the bottom of your newsletter or business cards.

Hope you enjoy these ideas.  QR codes are a little time consuming to make, but they are a lot of fun and can be reused from year to year.  Please leave me a comment and follow my blog.  I have to admit I got a little excited today when I hit 10 followers!  Thank you all for your labor of love!  You rock!


 



46 comments:

  1. Great post! I love your ideas! I hope you don't mind I made a link to this post on our resources page, so hopefully people will find it when they are looking for QR Codes ideas. You can check out how I did it here http://www.technologytailgate.com/p/mobile-devices.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! One of my favorite things about blogging is sharing and learning from each other!

      Delete
  2. I love the tic tac to board idea for scanning the QR codes. I also have one ipad but I have 5 itouch's as well. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I found you on the Newbie Blog Hop and I am your newest follower! I also gave you two awards! Stop by my blog to pick them up!

    Tamberly

    A Window Into Mrs. Wheeler's Class
    http://awindowintomrswheelersclass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh, I like this idea. I don't have an ipad, itouch or even my very own iphone:(( Hum, I'm wondering if I could do a donor's choose to get an itouch?? Maybe, just maybe!

    This goes with your next post, but I'm doing those journals - today! Creating a Writing Center is on my "to-do list"...thanks for helping me cross one off!

    http://thatnewcrayonsmell.blogspot.com/2012/08/get-organized-make-to-do-list.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Once the kids start using the journals, I'd love to hear how it goes.

      Delete
  5. This is such a fabulous idea! I had heard about using QR codes for kids to leave book review on books they've read, but this is way more fun! I'm definitely pinning this and using it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids love this activity! I loved watching their faces as they played. My firsties were so cute. I never even had to say a word if they got it right or wrong because if they got it wrong, the other students were correcting them. It was great!

      Delete
  6. These are great ideas! I love playing with qr codes. check out my blog to see how I used them last year with my first graders! Congrats on 10, although I am now your newest follower so congrats on 11, I know the feeling!!
    Think all night…..Teach all day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked out your post about QR codes. I love the idea of a vocabulary game. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  7. Thanks Michelle for the great information. I'm working creating my first QR code right now. Thanks for inspiring me. I'm your lucky 17th follower.

    Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I am excited that you are going to share this with your kids! Mine loved it! Check out Deana's post over at http://thinkallnightteachallday.blogspot.com/2012_05_01_archive.html. (May 2, 2012 post) She has a great vocabulary game too!

      Delete
  8. What a wonderfully cool idea! Thank you so much for sharing it AND for explaining it! I'm sitting here getting amazingly geeked about using it with my class!

    I do have one question. I'm in the same boat with ONE iPad in my class (and it's my personal one). I love the set up you use in the picture. What kind of a stand do you use? I have a cover / keyboard combo that doesn't always keep the camera lens clear, and would love another option for classroom use.

    Thanks again for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Your kids are going to love this activity! Make sure to come back and share how it goes. I got my iPad stand from Walmart. It is Speck brand, at least that is what it says on the cover. I do have a screen protector on the glass so the kids don't scratch it up. Then if I feel it gets to germy, I can just change it. Hope that helps. Good luck!

      Delete
  9. Wow, thanks, I will be using a VCARD now for outside my classroom door and on my newsletters. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! VCARD is convenient. Parents will have to download a QR reader, but they are free.

      Delete
  10. Oh my word. This is such a great idea and I can't wait to try it myself!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I lov this idea of using QR Codes in a TIC-TAC-TOE activity! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved your ideas for QR Codes! I am tweeting it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. One of the great things about teaching is sharing ideas. I plan to post some other ideas this summer, so stay tuned :)

      Delete
  13. Just wondering, is there a way the students get confirmation as to whether their answer is correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that would be a problem, but it ended up that the children corrected each other. You could store an answer key with it and have students take turn being the "teacher."

      Delete
  14. I love this!!!! Thank you for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Found you via pinterest. Thanks for this unique idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey there! Stumbled across this on pintrest. Great ideas. I'm a preservice teacher and have just run a lesson using QR codes with them! It was a scavenger hunt (the QR codes were clues in alien language, which needed to be translated). I'd love for you to check out the activity (http://mrcarrsblog.edublogs.org/2013/05/22/alien-codes-qr-codes-with-12e/) and leave some feedback or advice!
    Will.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Michelle! Found this on pintrest, I just recently ran a QR code activity with the class I'm on prac with (I'm a preservice teacher) to teach the students about procedures. It was so much fun. I'd love it if you had time to check it out and leave some feedback or advice!! http://mrcarrsblog.edublogs.org/2013/05/22/alien-codes-qr-codes-with-12e/

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea to color code your QR Codes to help with differentiation. Thanks for sharing!
    -Julie
    The Techie Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Michelle, Could you help me out with the Vcard I LOVE thatr idea :)

    Gabby

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Michelle, Could you help me out with the Vcards, PLEASE !!!!!!!!!! i LOVE THAT IDEA.

    GABBY12_75@YAHOO.COM

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE YOUR IDEAS!! I am your new follower. Like you, I was a long term sub waiting for my own classroom. This will be my first "official" year teaching. Looking forward to implementing the QR Codes. Thanks!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so excited to use this technology in my classroom. Thanks for sharing.
    P.S. I am a new follower:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much for this. I plan to use your ideas in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I make QR code tests! I put one question and an A, B, or C answer on each QR code, then I hide the QR codes around the classroom...under desks, inside cabinet doors, etc. gets my fifth graders up and moving around the room. I make sue there are as many questions as students, and only one student at each QR code. I am lucky enough to be at a school where I have a class set of I-Pads.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great way to engage kids! I am def. going to use this in my Spanish lesson with my 6/7 students!!! A positive reason for the kids to have their phones on them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you! I love the idea of using the QR Code to make a VCARD!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a wonderful idea! I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this idea! I am going to try this in my classroom. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a wonderful idea! I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank for this awesome tech integration idea, what a great way to engage students! I teach 5th grade science and would like students to create their own quiz questions and answers using this strategy...they would love it! I also like the idea of creating a QR for contact information, so efficient!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love your QR ideas! Upper elementary students would love creating their own :)

    ReplyDelete