Friday, June 29, 2012

Too Noisy App

I have always liked the stop light that shows the noise level in the room, but they are expensive. Thanks to technology, there is the wonderful Too Noisy App available on iPad 2. It can be projected as well. The .99 cents version keeps track of how many times the noise level gets out of control and triggers a warning sound. It is a pretty neat app. You can adjust the sensitivity based on the activity. I can absolutely envision using this in the classroom during centers. The only downside for me was that there is only one warning sound and it sounds similar to our fire alarm. It's not that huge a deal since the sound is brief and it can be turned off if I decided not to use it.

3 comments:

  1. We work with half the lights off and lamps on. When they are in centers and math buckets, I often play soft music. They know that if they cannot hear the music then they are too loud!

    One of Our School Family jobs is the attention helper. This kiddo helps when we are on the group rug but they can also give helpful reminders during work time.

    We have a class quiet sign. Often when it is getting too noisy, a few kiddos will put up the quiet sign. Once you see the quiet sign go up you stop what you are doing and put the quiet sign up too. It only takes at tops 30 seconds before the room is silent. I usually then say something like Way to go everyone for being helpful by checking your sounds.

    These tips have always worked for me! =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, thank you for sharing your noise control tips. I like that you play music during centers. Can you tell me what type. I thought about doing that, but I don't want instrumental music they might know the words too because then they will want to sing. I have seen those quiet signs too, but never seen anyone use them effectively. I like how you use them. Seems to work well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cd I use is the Mozart Effect. I am not sure which one though. There will be times I forget and the noise level goes up some and one little sweetie will remind me that I need to put the music on to calm them down. =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete